navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square google history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

Simon's gutsy shot sends Outlaws past Bayhawks, 9-6

March 18, 2016
DENVER –  Denver Outlaws’ defenseman Michael Simon doesn’t usually wind up and shoot. But when he found himself alone at the top of the arc Saturday night in Denver’s game against the Chesapeake Bayhawks, he didn’t hesitate. Simon fired a shot from outside the two-point line that rocketed past Chesapeake’s goalie putting Denver (7-1) up 9-6 and giving it some much-needed breathing room late in the game.

The game started out with both teams’ defenses dominating. John Grant Jr. finally got the game’s first goal more than six minutes into the contest. Justin Pennington scored several minutes later on a pass from Jeremy Noble and less than 10 seconds after, Curtis Dickson scored on a ball that just barely found its way into the net. For Dickson, it’s his ninth goal in just three games.

With time winding down in the quarter, Pennington found twine again, firing a top-shelf shot to give Denver a 4-0 lead at the end of the first.

Denver Outlaws’ goalie Jesse Schwartzman dominated in the first quarter and owned the crease all night. Schwartzman recorded 28 saves — a new season high — and kept Denver in the game as Chesapeake (2-6) threatened late.

In the second quarter, like the first, no one found the net until midway through the frame. Eric Law got the ball behind the Bayhawks’ net, spun to the front, jumped and fired a one-handed shot in — his 21st goal of the season.

Chesapeake’s Brandon Benn put them on the board late in the first half, but Drew Snider sniped in a shot just minutes later to give the Outlaws a 6-1 advantage heading into the locker room.

The Bayhawks found the net twice in the third quarter, but Law had another acrobatic goal late in the frame to make it 7-3 Denver.

In the final quarter, Chesapeake scored three times in the first six minutes to put them within one goal of Denver, but Simon’s two-point goal iced the game for the Outlaws, and Schwartzman’s eight saves in the frame closed the door on the Bayhawks.

The game marked Lee Zink’s 125 5th MLL career game, and Zink recorded one ground ball in the contest.

The Outlaws return to action away against the Rochester Rattlers on on Sunday, June 29, at 11:00 a.m. and return home to Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Friday, July 4 for the annual Mile High Fourth of July game and fireworks celebration.