navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square google history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

Outlaws drop heartbreaker in overtime

March 18, 2016

DENVER – Playing from behind for much of the second half, Chesapeake (3-1) used three points in the final 1:19 to force overtime, where Ben Hunt netted the game-winning goal to hand the Outlaws (3-1) their first loss of the season.

The Bayhawks started the game with three goals in the game’s first five minutes. Hunt struck first at the 3:27 mark, followed by Matt Abbott and Jeff Reynolds to stake Chesapeake a 3-0 lead.

Drew Westervelt put Denver on the scoreboard at the 8:14 mark before Ryan Hurley answered with a tally for the Bayhawks.

Max Seibald, playing in his first game back from injury, netted his first score of the year to close the first quarter with Chesapeake in front 4-2.

Denver opened the second quarter with an assist from Brendan Mundorf to Westervelt, which cut the Bayhawks’ lead to 4-3. Brian Langtry scored his first goal of the night to tie the game 47 seconds later.

Chesapeake answered with a goal from Michael Kimmel to increase its lead to 5-4.

Peet Poillon, playing against his former teammates, recorded his first of four goals on the evening with a jaw-dropping dodge to tie it up at 5 all.

With an assist from Poillon, Langtry added his second goal of the game, bringing the score to 6-5 in favor of the Outlaws.

The Bayhawks countered with a goal to tie the game at 6-6 at 7:22 in the second quarter.

Matt Bocklet broke the tie after he scooped up a loose ball and deposited it in the back of the net at 7:35 in the second quarter and Mundorf added an unassisted goal to bring the halftime score to 8-6.

Early in the third quarter, Westervelt pushed the Outlaws’ lead to 9-6 and Poillon bounced in his second goal of game.

Steve Holmes then scored his first goal since 2008, to join the run.

Chesapeake ended the Outlaws’ 10-2 scoring run with three straight goals to cut the Outlaws’ lead to 11-9 with 3:34 left in the third.

Seibald buried his second tally of the game to push the Outlaws’ advantage to 12-9.

Bill McGlone became the eighth Outlaw to score in the game, surging the team to a 13-9 lead at the end of the third quarter.

With 13:15 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Bayhawks’ cut the Outlaws’ lead to 13-10 with a goal from Danny Glading.

Poillon earned his second hat trick of the year to make the score 14-10 Outlaws.

Hurley put in back-to-back goals for Chesapeake to cut the Outlaws’ lead to 14-12.

Poillon registered his fourth goal of the game to push the Outlaws’ lead to three.

A two-point goal from Hunt brought the Bayhawks to within one with 1:19 remaining.

Then with 14 seconds left on the clock, Glading netted the game-tying goal, assisted by Hunt.

The Bayhawks won the opening draw of sudden-death overtime and capitalized with the game-winner from Hunt, who would earn Bud Light MVP honors.

12,548 fans took in the game at INVESCO Field at Mile High and that attendance figure ranks eighth in the team’s history and is the highest for a non-July 4th celebration game or opening-game.