navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square google history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

Fourth Quarter Surge Falls Short; Outlaws Lose to Rattlers 9-8

March 18, 2016
DENVER – The Denver Outlaws (5-3) could not complete a comeback late in the game, falling to the Rochester Rattlers (1-7) 9-8 at INVESCO Field at Mile High on Saturday night.

Trailing 8-5 entering the fourth quarter, the Outlaws roared back into the game with goals from Peet Poillon, Steve Holmes and Bill McGlone to knot the game at eight. However, with 2:25 left in the game, Rattlers midfielder Jordan Levine broke the tie with the eventual game-winning goal. A last-second shot by the Outlaws that would have won the game was deflected.

Rattlers attacker Ned Crotty led his team to victory with four points (2 goals, 2 assists), while Billy Bitter was the standout of the night for the Outlaws. Bitter tallied two goals on the night for his third multi-goal game of the season.

The Outlaws began the game with an early 2-0 lead, including goals from Nate Watkins and Connor Martin (1:36 and 2:48 into the first quarter, respectively), but their sticks fell silent after that as they managed just one more tally in the first half. Though the Rattlers didn’t respond until the 9:05 mark with their first goal from Jordan McBride, it sparked a 3-0 run against the Outlaws, as Matt Striebel and Grant Catalino scored as well.

With 6:55 left in the second quarter, what would have been Crotty’s first goal for the Rattlers was waved off due to a crease violation. Less than a minute later, the Outlaws’ Bitter answered with a goal to tie the score at three. But with just a minute until halftime, Levine scored an unassisted goal to put the Rattlers in the lead, 4-3.

Immediately at the start of the third quarter, Crotty netted his first goal for the night. Three minutes later, Bitter beat out Rochester defensemen Andrew Spack and scored to end Denver’s thirteen minute drought. Attacker Brendan Murdorf proceeded to tie the game at five with a short-handed goal, but the Rattlers responded with goals from Crotty and a two-point goal from Anthony Kelly.

The Outlaws return to INVESCO Field at Mile High on Saturday, July 30 at 7 p.m., and will face the Boston Cannons. Denver remains one game behind Boston for the number one spot in the league. Tickets start at just $15 and are available at or by calling 303-OUTLAWS.