Charlotte got on the board first with a goal from John Haus, but Denver scored the next five goals en route to a six-point first quarter.
With just more than two minutes left in the first, John Grant Jr. cradled the ball by Charlotte’s net, hesitated, then fired—behind his back without looking—to give him his second goal of the night and the Outlaws a 5-1 lead. Eric Law also scored a pair of goals in the first quarter to give Denver a 6-2 advantage heading into the second quarter.
The Hounds found the net four times in the second frame, but late goals from Grant and Law gave each player a hat trick before half time, and sent Charlotte to the locker room trailing, 9-6.
Cameron Flint was ready to get back on the field after the break. He netted a goal less than a minute into the second half, but then the Outlaws went dry for the rest of the quarter. The Hounds went on a 5-0 run, capped by a pair of two-point goals to give them an 11-10 lead with less than 10 minutes to play in the game. Then, the Bocklet brothers stepped in to tie the game, and eventually take the lead. Grant scored again late in the quarter for good measure—his fourth goal of the game.
Aside from marking the Outlaw’s 25th straight regular-season victory, some individual players marked special occasions, too. Matt Bocklet picked up his 300th groundball in an Outlaws jersey and Anthony Kelly won his 1300th career faceoff.
Fresh out of college, Colin Dunster and Jeremy Noble made their MLL debuts. Dunster took his first career shot on goal, and Noble picked up his first two MLL points on a pair of assists, the first of which came on a first-quarter dish to his former University of Denver teammate, Eric Law.
The Outlaws return to action on the road against the Charlotte Hounds on Saturday, June 7, 5:30 p.m. MDT.
- The Denver Outlaws extended their regular-season win streak to 25 games. With a win on the road next week against Charlotte, the Outlaws would move into second place for regular-season win streaks, tied with the New York Giants (MLB, 1916).
| REGULAR-SEASON WIN STREAKS, PRO SPORTS
|| Los Angeles Lakers
|| New York Giants
|| Denver Outlaws
|| New England Patriots
|| Los Angeles Sparks
|| Pittsburgh Penguins
|| Los Angeles Galaxy
- M. Bocklet scored his first goal of the 2014 season midway through the fourth quarter to tie the game at 11-11.
- Chris Bocklet scored his second goal of the night 50 seconds after M. Bocklet’s goal, to regain the lead for the Outlaws.
- Anthony Kelly racked up his 1300th career faceoff win in the second quarter. Kelly finished the night 16-of-26 on faceoffs (.615).
- Eric Law notched his fourth hat trick of the season. He has scored 3+ goals in 4-of-5 games this season, and accounted for at least three points in each of the team’s five wins.
- John Grant Jr. scored a season-high four goals en route to his five-point performance tonight. He has now scored 5+ points in two consecutive games.
- In his MLL debut, Jeremy Noble earned his first MLL point with an assist in the first quarter to his former DU teammate Eric Law. Noble finished the night with two points on two assists.
- Denver's eight goals in the first half rank tied for third most this season.
|| Week 1 at Fla.
|| Week 2 vs. Ohio
|| Week 4 vs. Roch.
|| Week 5 vs. Cha.